Not long ago I finished a marathon of grading portfolios, and grading revised portfolios for my students. iphone xr case on sales It’s a stressful and busy time, but one thing I’m very happy about may be the way that my utilization of holistic rubrics allows me to focus this grading work on student development in reading, writing and thinking.
Many years ago I used rubrics that are analytical.
These are the rubrics that function more like a checklist, where students can get 10 points due to their thesis statement, and get 7 points then with their utilization of evidence. A holistic rubric however, generally describes what a product (such as for example an essay, analysis paragraph etc.)
looks like at each level, like this example from my “Analysis Writing” rubric:
- Student identifies details which are relevant to the written text overall 1 and therefore clearly connect to each other, even though connection might be less interesting or clear than during the Honor Roll level.
- Student accurately describes the device( that is literary) (aka “writer’s moves”) discussed
- Student clearly and accurately describes an important idea through the text overall 1 , although the >may not be a interpretation that is nuanced. However, the interpretation continues to be abstract, but not clichйd.
- Student cites ev >attempts to use us within the most way that is useful
- Student completely explains the connections between details (ev >attempting to use words that are signal describe relationships between ideas